Monday, April 20, 2009

of voting in indian democracy

if there will be a contest to check desperation to vote , i will definetly be amongst the finalists. The whole process has taken more than 6 months now and still i dont have any clue where am i stuck.

It is really frustating that in my own country i dont have a right to vote. My voter ID application's status is unkown and i am shuttling between the election office and the election incharge for the ward. No one can tell me whether or not my application has been aprroved, if yes then has the card been made, if yes where it is , if no when will it be made.
Besides that the survey for electoral roll has been completed, when, i have no clue ... but for sure it was on a weekday when both me and neha were at work. No idea how to get my name on that and whom to contact.

Not only that, i dont know who are the contestants this year, they have not yet visisted my office or home to ask for our vote. there is no spam mail, sms, processions, loud speaker blaring or not even a banner informing who the contestant is , which party he/she belongs and that person needs my vote to win.

All this is really frustating... how can the whole system conspire against genuine and interested voters? I am quite sure all these obstructions are not faced by the people living in slums, for their votes can be bought for 50-100 rupees. No party is interested in talking to us for we will ask questions. We will not be happy that they want to give rice at 2 rupees per kg, but we will ask "from where will they get the money for this scheme?"

I just want to salute the tactician, the master politician who devised this plan of alienating the thinking population and concentrating mainly on saleable votes. the plan has worked so well that all the young people like us do not regard ourselevs as real india. Every person i meet and talk to has the opinion that we are not real india. real india is the person living in city slums and in villages.

My only worth to the country is the tax i pay every year , thats it. other than that the government, the politicians the country is not all worried about me. I pay the road tax but that will be used to build road near some neta's home or in his constituency during elections. I pay education cess and the SC/ST candidates, whose father is some big IAS officer or public sector employee(again due to reservations)will get subsidy in education. And i am conditoned not to ask any question by drilling one line in my head from childhood "ask not what your country has done for you, ask what you can do for the country."

No comments: